Posts tagged ‘gender marker’

Social Security Gender Change Changes for Trans People

Social Security Gender Change Changes

Posted on June 25, 2013 by Loree

The Social Security Administration (SSA) recently issued new guidelines that make it far easier for transpeople to change their gender marker.

Previously, changing the gender marker on your Social Security account generally required proof of having undergone sex reassignment surgery; no more!  Now people can update their gender marker using any of four documents:

  1. A U.S. passport showing the correct gender;
  2. A birth certificate showing the correct gender;
  3. A court order recognizing the correct gender; or
  4. A signed letter from a physician stating the person “has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to (the new male or female) gender.”

The physician letter does not have to specify what clinical treatment has been done, and what is “appropriate” can remain private between the patient and their doctor.  The physician letter needs to be on the physician’s letterhead, include their medical license or certificate number and the jurisdiction that issued it, and the statement, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct.”

The National Center for Transgender Equality has written a plain-English fact sheet that includes additional details and links for those who are interested.  It’s available at

Loree Cook-Daniels
Policy and Program Director

PO Box 1272
Milwaukee, WI  53201


Tag Cloud