Archive for June, 2013

on 06/27 (National HIV Testing Day) Tell your U.S. Senator to fully fund programs vital to people living with HIV/AIDS in Fiscal Year 2014!

Tell your U.S. Senator to fully fund programs vital to people living with HIV/AIDS in Fiscal Year 2014!

Members of the Senate Budget Committee plan to vote on the federal spending bill that supports Fiscal Year 2014’s domestic HIV/AIDS programs in early July. As a part of National HIV Testing Day on June 27, TODAY, we need to let U.S. Senators know that in addition to HIV testing, they should fully fund access to HIV prevention, care, treatment and research!

Take Action Now:
On National HIV Testing Day, call your U.S. Senators and ask them to prevent harmful cuts and to fully fund HIV prevention, care, treatment and research programs!

Here’s how to take action:

Urge Congress to fully fund HIV programs now! Look up your Senators here, and dial the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 to be connected to your legislator.

Here’s what to say:

“Hello, My name is ______ from _______, and I am calling on National HIV Testing Day to ask my Senator to fully fund and prevent additional cuts to HIV prevention, care, treatment, and research programs. Early identification through HIV testing, and reliable access to effective HIV care and treatment helps people with HIV live healthy and productive lives and is cost efficient. Investing in HIV prevention today translates into fewer new infections and less spending on care and treatment in the future.

Thank you”

Thank you for taking action today!


Social Security Gender Change Changes for Trans People

Social Security Gender Change Changes

Posted on June 25, 2013 by Loree

The Social Security Administration (SSA) recently issued new guidelines that make it far easier for transpeople to change their gender marker.

Previously, changing the gender marker on your Social Security account generally required proof of having undergone sex reassignment surgery; no more!  Now people can update their gender marker using any of four documents:

  1. A U.S. passport showing the correct gender;
  2. A birth certificate showing the correct gender;
  3. A court order recognizing the correct gender; or
  4. A signed letter from a physician stating the person “has had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition to (the new male or female) gender.”

The physician letter does not have to specify what clinical treatment has been done, and what is “appropriate” can remain private between the patient and their doctor.  The physician letter needs to be on the physician’s letterhead, include their medical license or certificate number and the jurisdiction that issued it, and the statement, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the foregoing is true and correct.”

The National Center for Transgender Equality has written a plain-English fact sheet that includes additional details and links for those who are interested.  It’s available at

Loree Cook-Daniels
Policy and Program Director

PO Box 1272
Milwaukee, WI  53201

06/12/13 meeting reminder and agenda

hi everyone!

Just a quick reminder that our post-Coping With Hope task force meeting will be on Wednesday. June 12th from 9:30am to 11:30am at LAGLC – The Village at Ed Gould Plaza – 1125 N. McCadden Place, LA, 90038.

If you have anything to add to the agenda, please email Susan at or Ingrid at Otherwise, see you there! (Don’t you totally want to discuss how AMAZING  ‎Laura van Dernoot Lipsky was?)


See you all there!


Tag Cloud